Earth Science Fair Topic Ideas Made Fun and Easy
There are many science fair project topics and materials ideas to choose from. Earth science is a big category for its ability to demonstrate the principles of visual science. One easy project is a model of the earth’s edible coating.
This science fair topics that can be made using ingredients actually edible. Be careful to ensure that no one participating in the project have an allergy to peanuts or any of the ingredients.
* Crunchy peanut butter
* 10x confectioners’ sugar (also known as powdered sugar)
Chocolate biscuits (which usually will work if the chocolates are not available)
* Milk Duds or other malted milk balls candy
Destroying the biscuits into fine powder and set aside. Mixed crunchy peanut butter and powdered sugar until it forms a stiff dough, like Play-Doh. Roll the dough into a ball. Cut the ball in half and put the ball in the middle of the malted milk. Putting two halves back together and press down firmly. Roll the ball refitted in crumbs.
As an alternative, you can melt chocolate chips over hot water and dip the ball finished on before rolling in cracker crumbs. Set aside in the refrigerator to allow the melted chocolate time to harden.
When the model is complete, you can discuss the following points:
1. Identify all natural or physical layer of the Earth.
2. What compromises Moho and where geologists are likely to find it?
3. Compare and contrast each of the following conditions:
A. The Crust and Lithosphere
b. Continental and oceanic crust
c. The Mantle and asthenosphere
d. Outer and inner core
4. Explain how it is possible for the solid flow. Use examples taken from your model.
5. How would be possible to test the physical condition of each layer in a different from your model without having to cut it to look into it?
6. How Mohorovičić and other scientists studying the Earth
discover the nature and composition of the Earth’s interior layers?
7. How to sense your model?
If your topic is not the kind of scientific projects which allow your discussions with customers and visitors, prepare a presentation in the form of a poster that can show what you are trying to convey to the public. Explain how each model edible coating is prepared and what is represented by what component. Maybe you could even make enough edible models that you can cut them into pieces that you can offer to the public along with a handout explaining what each layer.
If you take this route, remember to clearly label the ingredients used in the handout so that anyone who gets a piece will not be aware of ingredients that might trigger allergic reactions.